This case study asks the reader to step into the shoes of Susan Chen, a business studies student who has an intern placement with Happy Cow, a Niche ice cream maker in Hong Kong. The central theme of this case is how best to use time series data when running a small business operating in a competitive retail environment: how can insights from data analytics influence sales strategy? Although vision, industry knowledge, and people management are essential to entrepreneurs, making the best strategic marketing choices is equally vital. Extracting the maximum value from sales data can therefore be extremely helpful.
This teaching case covers the following themes:
- an introduction to time series data;
- the mind-set of a data analyst;
- the procedures of data analytics in a business context;
- visualization techniques applied to time series;
- understanding time series visualizations and potential pitfalls.